Rain plays havoc in Kerala, two killed
Thiruvananthapuram: At least two people were killed as heavy rain continued to lash Kerala with weathermen on Thursday predicting more downpour.
Heavy rain since Wednesday paralysed normal life in Ernakulam, Kottayam, Thiruvananthapuram and Thrissur districts.
The Met Department here forecast that heavy rain accompanied with thunder would continue to lash the state till Saturday.
The department asked fishermen not to venture out into sea as strong winds with a speed up to 60 km per hour are expected to hit the coasts of Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Lakshadweep.
Police said two deaths were reported from Thiruvananthapuram and Kozhikode districts.
A Saudi Airline flight from Jeddah to Kozhikode was diverted to Colombo following heavy rain, an official said.
Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said the rain has caused a huge damage. State Revenue Minister Adoor Prakash is stationed in Delhi to seek an urgent financial aid to the tune of Rs.90 crore from the central government, he added.
Railway tracks at the Ernakulam South Railway station were submerged and many trains are running behind the schedule, an official said.
Other districts also received heavy rain. Incidentally, the incessant rain also poured cold water on the Thrissur Pooram, Kerala`s popular temple festival, in Thrissur district.
The organisers were forced to call off the sample fireworks display, which is a common fixture ahead of the major fireworks display (scheduled for early morning Saturday). Fireworks display is one the key events in the week-long festivities at the Thrissur Pooram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?