Ramadan to begin in Kerala Wednesday
Thiruvananthapuram: Muslim clerics and leaders in Kerala announced that the holy month of Ramadan would begin here from Wednesday.
The Indian Union Muslim League`s supreme leader Pannakad Hyder Ali Shihab Thangal and other religious leaders made this announcement after the sighting of the moon in Wayanad late Tuesday evening.
Muslims in Kerala constitute roughly 24 per cent of the 3.20 crore population.
Ramadan takes place during the ninth month of the Islamic calendar. It is the month of fasting, in which Muslims don`t eat or drink anything from dawn until sunset.
The month lasts 29 or 30 days and culminates with the Eid ul-Fitr.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown