Reducing digital divide vital: Manmohan Singh
Thiruvananthapuram: Lauding Kerala`s pioneering efforts in achieving total e-literacy, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Saturday said reducing the digital divide was vital to improve the lives of common people across the country.
Launching the total e-literacy Programme of Kerala Government being implemented under PN Panicker Vikas Vigyan Kendra here, Singh said this was an initiative which could be taken across the country.
"In fact, we need such initiatives to be taken across the length and breadth of the country. This will help us in realising the full potential of ICT--- in decentralised governance, in better delivery of services, particularly education, in financial inclusion and e-commerce," Singh said.
Recalling the services of late PN Panicker in universal literacy and library movement in Kerala, Singh said the e-literacy programme being launched in tune with the earlier movements would also contribute to quickening the pace of Kerala`s social and economic development and political empowerment of people.
Singh said the programme would also help in building social capital by enabling success stories of community efforts to be shared easily.
He said the "Granthasala Sanghom" (library movement) began by Paincker with 47 libraries in 1945 and which grew into a network of more than 6000 libraries in due course was the corner stone of the Kerala model of development.
"Many social historians consider the library movement to be the corner stone of the so-called Kerala model of development," he said.
A Gandhian, Panicker also worked to foster social amity and harmony devoting his last years to "Friendship Village Movement", the Prime Minister said.
At the outset, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said the programme was aimed at achieving total e-literacy in the state in 33 months, marching from total literacy to complete literacy.
In its first phase, the campaign would cover 100 panchayats across the state. Kerala Governor Nikhil Kumar, Union Minister for HRD Shashi Tharoor, Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairperson PJ Kuiren, state ministers PK Abdu Rabb and Shibu Baby John and vice chairman of PN Panicker Vigyan Vikas Kendra N Balagopal were present on the occasion.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- DNA: Analysing how plastics are devastating our health silently
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'