Relief measures announced for rain affected people in Kerala
Thiruvananthapuram: A total of 22 persons have died so far and 374 villages in Kerala affected due to rain-related incidents since the onset of the monsoon, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said here on Thursday.
He was speaking to reporters after a special Cabinet meeting that discussed relief measures across the state.
Kerala received 66 per cent excess rain from June 1 when the monsoon rains started. Except Pathanamthitta, all other districts received excess rainfall, he said.
"So far 22 persons have died in the rain havoc and 374 villages have been badly affected. Of these, 71 are coastal villages. 44 relief camps have been opened and 2,432 families are in these camps. Control rooms have been opened at revenue commissionerate and district collectorates," he said.
Each family in a relief camp would be given Rs 2,000 immediately and free rations for two weeks, as also medicines, Chandy said.
Free rations would also be given to families whose houses had been inundated and who had shifted to other places and to?tribal families, fishermen and coir workers, he said.
The state expects the Centre to provide the additional quota of rice, the Chief Minister said.
Families of deceased who are majors would be given Rs 2 lakh as solatium and Rs 1.5 lakh to minors. An amount of Rs 1 lakh would be given to those whose houses are fully damaged and the structures are certified as unsafe houses by an engineer, Chandy said.
"The state has strongly recommended to the Centre to include sea surge and deaths due to lightning, under natural calamity," he said adding, crop damage due to heavy rain has been estimated at Rs 54 crore.
Wayand is the worst affected with damages mounting to Rs 20 crore, he said.
Chandy said, the Cabinet also discussed the issue of Keralities in Kuwait due to the new law being introduced in that country.
"The state is anxious about problems faced by expatriates in Kuwait and has insisted that the Centre intervene on the issue in the same manner as it did in Saudi issue. A detailed project has been prepared on the rehabilitation package intended for migrants returning from Gulf countries," he said.
A self-employment package for returnees would be given shape jointly by the Centre and state governments and banks, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'