Remission of sentence short-circuiting cabinet unconstitutional
Kochi: Kerala High court on Thursday declared as
`unconstitutional` the procedure in the Rules of Business
short circuiting the cabinet and placing the files relating to
grant of remission, pardon or commutation of sentence of
convicts to Governor without the aid and advice of the
The court held that this provision in Rules of Business
which stipulates the manner in which remission, commutation is
to be conducted, called for amendment.
The observations were made by Justice V Ramkumar while
setting aside the remission granted by the Governor to 3
police officers convicted by a court on a charge of torturing
a couple in 1988 following some property dispute.
Allowing the writ petition by G Balachandran of Varkala,
the the high court directed the authorities to execute the
arrest warrants against the accused.
The court dismissed the petition by former Circle
Inspector of police C S Ramachandran Nair, Sub Inspector,
Zubair Kunj, and Head Constable J Abdul Kalam.
The police officials faced trial on the basis of complaint
by Balachandran and his wife Meena, who was seven months
pregnant when tortured at the police station at Venjaramood in
Thiruvananthapuram on Sept 16, 1988.
The accused policemen were sentenced to 3 months Rigorous
imprisonment and fine. However, they did not undergo the
imprisonment following the remission.
The court held that the remission passed by Governor was
`illegal` and the Governor can do so only on the aid and
advice of the cabinet.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof