Repair work on Mullaperiyar dam resumes
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Government on Saturday said the repair work on the controversial Mullaperiyar dam has resumed after it took up with Kerala the issue of its officials allegedly preventing cement bags meant for the purpose.
After the state officials raised the issue with their Kerala counterparts, 500 bags of cement have reached the dam site and the repair works were underway, an official release said.
Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa held a review meeting with Chief Secretary Debendranath Sarangi and DGP K Ramanujam yesterday and directed them to take up the matter with their Kerala counterparts, it said.
The Supreme Court appointed Empowered Committee, while looking into a case pertaining to the strength of the dam over which the two states are locked in a row, had submitted a report vouching for its safety after conducting tests on the structure by drilling holes at various points.
When state PWD engineers took up repair work to plug the holes ahead of the monsoon season and in line with the committee`s directions, Kerala Government, however "prevented" them from doing it, the release said adding Jayalalithaa took up the matter with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on May 27.
While later Kerala assured it would not prevent works, its Forest officials stopped cement from being transported there, the release said adding Jayalalithaa subsequently chaired the meeting to review the situation.
"On the directions of Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, the Chief Secretary and DGP of Tamil Nadu spoke to their Kerala counterparts following which 500 cement bags have reached the area and woks to plug the holes are underway," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?