Repair work on Mullaperiyar dam resumes
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Government on Saturday said the repair work on the controversial Mullaperiyar dam has resumed after it took up with Kerala the issue of its officials allegedly preventing cement bags meant for the purpose.
After the state officials raised the issue with their Kerala counterparts, 500 bags of cement have reached the dam site and the repair works were underway, an official release said.
Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa held a review meeting with Chief Secretary Debendranath Sarangi and DGP K Ramanujam yesterday and directed them to take up the matter with their Kerala counterparts, it said.
The Supreme Court appointed Empowered Committee, while looking into a case pertaining to the strength of the dam over which the two states are locked in a row, had submitted a report vouching for its safety after conducting tests on the structure by drilling holes at various points.
When state PWD engineers took up repair work to plug the holes ahead of the monsoon season and in line with the committee`s directions, Kerala Government, however "prevented" them from doing it, the release said adding Jayalalithaa took up the matter with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on May 27.
While later Kerala assured it would not prevent works, its Forest officials stopped cement from being transported there, the release said adding Jayalalithaa subsequently chaired the meeting to review the situation.
"On the directions of Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, the Chief Secretary and DGP of Tamil Nadu spoke to their Kerala counterparts following which 500 cement bags have reached the area and woks to plug the holes are underway," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- IPL 2016 final: It was a total team effort, says SRH's captain David Warner
- MNS to file FIR against AIB comedian Tanmay Bhat’s video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar today
- Islamic State selling sex slaves on Facebook for $8,000
- Puducherry: Narayanasamy to meet Lt Gov Kiran Bedi today, stake claim to form govt
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official