Report on Mullaperiyar unilateral: Achuthanandan
Thiruvananthapuram: Coming out against the report of the Supreme Court-appointed Empowered Committee on Mullaperiyar dam, over which Kerala and Tamil Nadu are at loggerheads, CPI-M veteran VS Achuthanandan on Monday said it was "unilateral and in favour of Tamil Nadu".
The report was prepared under the influence of Tamil Nadu and Congress-led UDF government in Kerala failed to overcome the political pressure put by the neighbouring state, the Opposition leader in the Kerala assembly, told reporters here.
Achuthanandan alleged that the Centre sided with Tamil Nadu and Chief Minister Oommen Chandy could not do anything about it.
"Whatever progress made by Kerala on Mullaperiyar case during the previous LDF rule has been lost," he said.
The CPI-M leader wanted the state government to challenge the report in the apex court by placing arguments and documents of experts stating that the present 119-year old reservoir was not safe.
The former chief minister asked Kerala not to deviate from its declared position of `water to Tamil Nadu and safety to Kerala` and said if it departed from its stand, it would be dangerous to Kerala.
Achuthanandan also wanted Chandy to make Kerala`s stand clear in the wake of the empowered committee report.
Referring to criticism by state Water Resources Minister P J Joseph against panel member, Justice KT Thomas, he sought to know whether the state government officials made necessary consultations with Justice Thomas on the matter.
Achuthanandan alleged that the ruling UDF and Cabinet were not united on the issue. While Joseph made some remarks against Justice Thomas alleging that he did not support the state`s cause, state Power Minister Aryadan Muhammed supported Thomas, he said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS