Report on Mullaperiyar unilateral: Achuthanandan
Thiruvananthapuram: Coming out against the report of the Supreme Court-appointed Empowered Committee on Mullaperiyar dam, over which Kerala and Tamil Nadu are at loggerheads, CPI-M veteran VS Achuthanandan on Monday said it was "unilateral and in favour of Tamil Nadu".
The report was prepared under the influence of Tamil Nadu and Congress-led UDF government in Kerala failed to overcome the political pressure put by the neighbouring state, the Opposition leader in the Kerala assembly, told reporters here.
Achuthanandan alleged that the Centre sided with Tamil Nadu and Chief Minister Oommen Chandy could not do anything about it.
"Whatever progress made by Kerala on Mullaperiyar case during the previous LDF rule has been lost," he said.
The CPI-M leader wanted the state government to challenge the report in the apex court by placing arguments and documents of experts stating that the present 119-year old reservoir was not safe.
The former chief minister asked Kerala not to deviate from its declared position of `water to Tamil Nadu and safety to Kerala` and said if it departed from its stand, it would be dangerous to Kerala.
Achuthanandan also wanted Chandy to make Kerala`s stand clear in the wake of the empowered committee report.
Referring to criticism by state Water Resources Minister P J Joseph against panel member, Justice KT Thomas, he sought to know whether the state government officials made necessary consultations with Justice Thomas on the matter.
Achuthanandan alleged that the ruling UDF and Cabinet were not united on the issue. While Joseph made some remarks against Justice Thomas alleging that he did not support the state`s cause, state Power Minister Aryadan Muhammed supported Thomas, he said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray