Right to Service becomes law in Kerala
Thiruvananthapuram: With the Kerala Assembly Wednesday passing the Right to Service Bill, 2012, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy has kept his promise of making available services to the people within a specified time.
Thirteen specified government services come under the ambit of the new law.
These are issue of certificates of birth and death; denomination of caste, income and domicile; electricity connection to households and commercial shops; domestic water connections and issue of ration cards.
The other services are receipts to complaints filed with the police; issue of a copy of the First Information Report; police intervention in grievous crimes; time-bound verification of passport and employment status; issue of copy of post-mortem report and releasing of vehicles under custody.
The law guarantees delivery of specified services within a stipulated time period and if this does not happen, a penalty will be imposed on the official concerned.
People can now avail these services at offices of concerned government departments, local self-government institutions besides public sector undertakings.
The Assembly had taken up the Right to Service Bill for discussion Tuesday. It was to be discussed Wednesday too.
But with the opposition up in arms over another issue and the Assembly facing chaos, Speaker G. Karthikeyan quickly finished the listed business for the day.
The Assembly session ended Wednesday with Karthikeyan terming the session as a historic one.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof