RMP leader`s murder: SIT arrests 2 CPI-M men
Kozhikode: The Special Investigation Team probing the murder of Revolutionary Marxist Party leader TP Chandrasekharan arrested two CPI(M) functionaries today on the charge of helping the assailants, police said.
The two arrested are CH Asokhan, Onchiyam CPI(M) area committee secretary and KK Krishnan, Local Committee member, they said.
The duo were later produced before the Vatakara Judicial First Class Magistrate court, which remanded them to 14 days police custody.
Police had a tough time in controlling a large crowd which had assembled at the court venue, despite the dawn-to- dusk hartal called by LDF and BJP against the petrol price hike in force.
CPI(M) activists later took out a rally in Vatakara, protesting against the arrest of the two functionaries.
Yesterday, the SIT had arrested from Mysore one of the gang members who allegedly hacked Chandrasekharan to death. He was an accomplice of N K Sunil Kumar, the prime accused in the case.
The arrest of the two CPI(M) functionaries by SIT takes the number of those held in the case to 14.
Chandrasekharan, 50, a former CPI(M) leader in the party stronghold Onjiyam in Kozhikode district, was murdered at Vallikkad near Vatakara on May 4.
The assailants who came by a car attacked him while he was riding a motorcycle alone. Country-made bombs were hurled at him before he was hacked to death with sharp weapons.
Chandrasekharan was expelled a few years ago after falling out with the leadership. He later joined RMP floated by CPI-M activists who either quit the party over ideological issues or were expelled for anti-party activities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?