RSP becomes part of Congress-led UDF
Thiruvananthapuram: The Revolutionary Socialist Party in Kerala, which snapped its decades long tie with CPI-M led LDF, Tuesday formally became part of Congress-led ruling UDF.
Giving a jolt to LDF, RSP came out of the Front on Sunday last after they were denied the Kollam parliamentary seat by CPI-M for the coming Lok Sabha polls.
UDF convenor P P Thankachen told reporters after a leadership meeting of the Front that RSP has been allotted the Kollam seat.
He also said RSP has also given an assurance to the Front that they would support UDF and UPA at the Centre after the polls.
RSP, a long-time partner in LDF, broke off with it on Mar 8, protesting the "overbearing" approach of CPI(M) and CPI in seat allocation. The party also decided to put up its former MP N K Premachandran as its candidate in Kollam, its traditional stronghold.
It had also rejected the appeal of central leaders of CPI(M) and CPI to reconsider its decision in the larger interests of Left unity.
Kollam was once an RSP stronghold and the party had sound trade union base in the area which had several traditional industries like cashew processing.
Though RSP`s founder leader late N Sreekantan Nair had won from Kollam repeatedly, CPI(M) took over the constituency later and had won in 2004.
Premachandran, who was a minister in the previous LDF ministry led by V S Achuthanandan, had won twice from there.
In 2009, CPI(M) candidate was defeated by N Peethambara Kurup of Congress.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Yogi Adityanath's speech on his first visit to Gorakhpur after becoming UP CM
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?