`Run for Unity` held in 14 centres in Kerala
Thiruvananthapuram: More than 30,000 people from different walks of life participated in `Run for Unity` marathon here Sunday morning held at 14 centres in Kerala to mark the 63rd death anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
Sivagiri Math Secretary Guru Prasad flagged off the marathon in the city and Olympian K M Beenamol were among the prominent personalities participated in the run.
Triggering a flutter in the ruling Congress led UDF in the state, Government Chief Whip and KC (M) leder P C George inaugurated the run at Kottayam.
Objective of the programme was to observe the death anniversary of Sardar Vallabhai Patel and to promote the `Statue of Unity`, world`s tallest statue with a height of 182 meter, to be built on the banks of river Narmada in Gujarat.
The Sardar Vallabhai Patel Ekta Trust, organisers of the event, has also constituted a Loha Sanghrahana Samiti to collect the agriculture tools and sand for the construction of the proposed statue.
The Samiti would collect small quantity of mud and iron agriculture tools from across seven thousand villages in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority