`Run for Unity` held in 14 centres in Kerala
Thiruvananthapuram: More than 30,000 people from different walks of life participated in `Run for Unity` marathon here Sunday morning held at 14 centres in Kerala to mark the 63rd death anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
Sivagiri Math Secretary Guru Prasad flagged off the marathon in the city and Olympian K M Beenamol were among the prominent personalities participated in the run.
Triggering a flutter in the ruling Congress led UDF in the state, Government Chief Whip and KC (M) leder P C George inaugurated the run at Kottayam.
Objective of the programme was to observe the death anniversary of Sardar Vallabhai Patel and to promote the `Statue of Unity`, world`s tallest statue with a height of 182 meter, to be built on the banks of river Narmada in Gujarat.
The Sardar Vallabhai Patel Ekta Trust, organisers of the event, has also constituted a Loha Sanghrahana Samiti to collect the agriculture tools and sand for the construction of the proposed statue.
The Samiti would collect small quantity of mud and iron agriculture tools from across seven thousand villages in the country.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Twenty five militants killed in eastern Nangarhar province in Afghanistan
- Kiren Rijiju celebrates anti-emergency day, says BJP against "dictatorship"
- Minister, 15 others killed in Somalia hotel attack
- Congress stages dharnas demanding resignation of 21 AAP MLAs
- ISIS suspect first to turn informer for British spies: Report