Sabari pilgirmage gets underway
Sabarimala: Devotees have started pouring at the foothills of the holy hillock of Sabarimala as the two-month long annual pilgrimage season of Lord Ayyappa temple is all set to begin in the wee hours of Friday.
The 41-day `Mandala pooja` season of the shrine will start tomorrow at the dawn of the month of `Vrishchikam` of Malayalam calendar, followed by the `Makaravilakku" phase lasting till mid-January next year.
One of world`s largest religious events, Sabarimala attracts an average three crore devotees every year.
Various government departments, Travancore Devaswom Board and voluntary agencies are engaged in the last-minute perparations to cope the inflow of devotees both at the Sannidhanam atop and the base camp on the banks of the holy river Pampa.
Large contingents of police personnel had been deployed to maintain security, crowd management and traffic control.
According to official sources, ensuring hassle-free darshan to pilgrims through effective crowd management and keeping the fragile ecosystem of the hillshrine situated in the buffer zones of Periyar Tiger Rserves in Pathanamthitta district are some of the vital tasks ahead.
The first phase of the pilgrimage will culminate with the `mandala` poja on December 26. It will be followed by the `makaravilakku` with the `jyothi darshan` as its highpoint on January 14.
Railways have announced Sabari special trains from different destinations like Chennai, Bangalore and Hyderabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29