Sabari pilgirmage gets underway
Sabarimala: Devotees have started pouring at the foothills of the holy hillock of Sabarimala as the two-month long annual pilgrimage season of Lord Ayyappa temple is all set to begin in the wee hours of Friday.
The 41-day `Mandala pooja` season of the shrine will start tomorrow at the dawn of the month of `Vrishchikam` of Malayalam calendar, followed by the `Makaravilakku" phase lasting till mid-January next year.
One of world`s largest religious events, Sabarimala attracts an average three crore devotees every year.
Various government departments, Travancore Devaswom Board and voluntary agencies are engaged in the last-minute perparations to cope the inflow of devotees both at the Sannidhanam atop and the base camp on the banks of the holy river Pampa.
Large contingents of police personnel had been deployed to maintain security, crowd management and traffic control.
According to official sources, ensuring hassle-free darshan to pilgrims through effective crowd management and keeping the fragile ecosystem of the hillshrine situated in the buffer zones of Periyar Tiger Rserves in Pathanamthitta district are some of the vital tasks ahead.
The first phase of the pilgrimage will culminate with the `mandala` poja on December 26. It will be followed by the `makaravilakku` with the `jyothi darshan` as its highpoint on January 14.
Railways have announced Sabari special trains from different destinations like Chennai, Bangalore and Hyderabad.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days