Sabarimala: Kerala govt files affidavit in HC
Kochi: Rapped by the Kerala High Court for
inadequate measures in the wake of Pulmedu tragedy which
claimed the lives of 102 Sabarimala pilgrims, the state government
Friday filed an affidavit stating that it would draw up an
action plan for disaster prevention and also take up various
measures including development of Nilakkal base camp, which
would help to regulate the entry of pilgrims to Sabarimala.
In the affidavit filed by K Jayakumar, Additional Chief
Secretary, who is also the Home, Vigilance and Devaswom
Secretary, stated that the high-powered committee for
implementation of Sabarimala Master Plan had identified few
projects for better crowd management which would be completed
by next season.
An action plan for disaster prevention would be drawn up.
Development of Nilakkal as base camp and providing better
facilities for pilgrims would help to contain the pilgrims
there and regulate their entry to Sabarimala.
Creating additional space at `Sannidhanam` (Sanctum
Sanctorum) by constructing two storeyed walk way, creating an
exit over-bridge at the back of the temple, shifting the
Prasadam complex, improving facilities and safety at the points
at which pilgrims congregate to watch `Makara Jyothi`, were
among the projects.
The government would hold consultative meeting with
National Disaster Management Agency, state disaster management
agency and other experts and devise safety measures on the
route and other routes, the government stated in the
He informed the court that the exact sequence and events
leading to Sabarimala tragedy will be clear only after the
investigation of the Crime Branch was over.
Government also reiterated that 279 police personnel and
forest officials were deployed in the area after the Pulmedu
After the tragedy, the state government had pressed into
service all facilities for rescue operations and to ensure that
pilgrims are able to leave the place without difficult.
Government has also announced an ex-gratia of Rs 5 lakh
for those killed in the tragedy, he stated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India