Sabarimala pilgrimage to begin Tuesday
Sabarimala: The two-month-long pilgrimage to the famed hillshrine of Lord Ayyappa temple is all set to commence with the portals of sanctum sanctorum opening Tuesday evening for the installation of the new chief priest Sasi Namboodiri, who will be presiding over the poojas and rituals for an year.
Over 30 million pilgrims, most of them from the south India states of Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka, trek the holy hill every year to offer worship to Lord Sreedharama Sastha.
According to temple officials here, elbaorate arrangements have been made for the smooth conduct of devotees, known as `ayyappas`, at Sannidhanam atop the Sabarimala and the base camp on the banks of River Pampa.
The 41-day first phase of the pilgirmage is known as `Mandala pooja` to be followed by the second leg `Makaravilakku," culminating in mid-January.
Hundreds of police personnel had been deployed for the security and crowd management during the pilgrimage.
Besides the Travancore Devaswom Board (TDB), which manages the shrine, a host of Government departments had been working in co-ordination for the last many days to ensure facilities for the devotees, temple officials said.
Kerala State Road Transport Corporation would be operating special bus services to Pamapa from major towns across the state for the entire season.
The Railways also run special trains from South India capitals like Chennai, Bangalore and Hyderabad to ease the rush.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow