Sabarimala: Plea to restore power to light Makaravilakku
Kottayam: The Aikya Mala Arya Maha Sabha, a tribal organisation and member of National Adivasi Federation has demanded that the power to light Makaravilakku be restored to Mala Arya Community.
The members of the community were denied the right to light the lamp since the constitution of Travancore Devaswom Board, the Sabha president KR Bhasi told reporters here.
He said it was the members of the community, who lived in the 18 hills in and around Sabarimala traditionally lighted the holy lamp at Ponnambalamedu.
The sabha patron PK Bhaskaran said the community was closely connected with traditions of Sabarimala and according to traditions Lord Ayyappa was born into the family of a chieftain of the community who lived in Karimala "However, we
are kept away from all affairs connected with the Sabarimala pilgrimage", he said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...