Sabarimala: Plea to restore power to light Makaravilakku
Kottayam: The Aikya Mala Arya Maha Sabha, a tribal organisation and member of National Adivasi Federation has demanded that the power to light Makaravilakku be restored to Mala Arya Community.
The members of the community were denied the right to light the lamp since the constitution of Travancore Devaswom Board, the Sabha president KR Bhasi told reporters here.
He said it was the members of the community, who lived in the 18 hills in and around Sabarimala traditionally lighted the holy lamp at Ponnambalamedu.
The sabha patron PK Bhaskaran said the community was closely connected with traditions of Sabarimala and according to traditions Lord Ayyappa was born into the family of a chieftain of the community who lived in Karimala "However, we
are kept away from all affairs connected with the Sabarimala pilgrimage", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Anushka Sharma slaps ‘Sultan’ Salman Khan?