Sabarimala: Plea to restore power to light Makaravilakku
Kottayam: The Aikya Mala Arya Maha Sabha, a tribal organisation and member of National Adivasi Federation has demanded that the power to light Makaravilakku be restored to Mala Arya Community.
The members of the community were denied the right to light the lamp since the constitution of Travancore Devaswom Board, the Sabha president KR Bhasi told reporters here.
He said it was the members of the community, who lived in the 18 hills in and around Sabarimala traditionally lighted the holy lamp at Ponnambalamedu.
The sabha patron PK Bhaskaran said the community was closely connected with traditions of Sabarimala and according to traditions Lord Ayyappa was born into the family of a chieftain of the community who lived in Karimala "However, we
are kept away from all affairs connected with the Sabarimala pilgrimage", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror