Sabarimala: Plea to restore power to light Makaravilakku
Kottayam: The Aikya Mala Arya Maha Sabha, a tribal organisation and member of National Adivasi Federation has demanded that the power to light Makaravilakku be restored to Mala Arya Community.
The members of the community were denied the right to light the lamp since the constitution of Travancore Devaswom Board, the Sabha president KR Bhasi told reporters here.
He said it was the members of the community, who lived in the 18 hills in and around Sabarimala traditionally lighted the holy lamp at Ponnambalamedu.
The sabha patron PK Bhaskaran said the community was closely connected with traditions of Sabarimala and according to traditions Lord Ayyappa was born into the family of a chieftain of the community who lived in Karimala "However, we
are kept away from all affairs connected with the Sabarimala pilgrimage", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Each passing year is a reward for me, says Amitabh Bachchan on his 73rd birthday
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- How Twitteratis reacted to PM Modi calling Prakash Singh Badal 'Nelson Mandela'
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off