Sabarimala: Plea to restore power to light Makaravilakku
Kottayam: The Aikya Mala Arya Maha Sabha, a tribal organisation and member of National Adivasi Federation has demanded that the power to light Makaravilakku be restored to Mala Arya Community.
The members of the community were denied the right to light the lamp since the constitution of Travancore Devaswom Board, the Sabha president KR Bhasi told reporters here.
He said it was the members of the community, who lived in the 18 hills in and around Sabarimala traditionally lighted the holy lamp at Ponnambalamedu.
The sabha patron PK Bhaskaran said the community was closely connected with traditions of Sabarimala and according to traditions Lord Ayyappa was born into the family of a chieftain of the community who lived in Karimala "However, we
are kept away from all affairs connected with the Sabarimala pilgrimage", he said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border