Sabarimala tragedy: 104 dead in stampede, judicial probe ordered
Vandiperiyar: Kerala Chief Minister
V S Achuthanandan on Saturday announced a judicial inquiry into the
stampede at nearby Pulumedu that claimed the lives of 104
Achuthanandan, who flew down by helicopter to Kumali
where the bodies of the victims were brought, also announced a
solatium of Rs five lakh for the families of each of the
The seriously injured would be given Rs 50,000 and
those with minor injuries Rs 25,000 each.
The Government would meet the flight and road
transport expenses for ferrying the bodies of victims to their
The Chief Minister said the government would try to
avail the services of a sitting High Court judge for the
He also reviewed with cabinet colleagues on the spot
arrangements to transport the bodies as most of the deceased
were from neighbouring states of Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and
The Government has announced a three-day mourning in
Meanwhile, Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee and
Defence Minister A K Antony have cancelled their engagements
in Kerala scheduled for tomorrow in view of the tragedy.
104 Sabarimala devotees were killed and over 40
injured in the stampede when a jeep crashed into pilgrims at
Pulmedu in Kerala`s Idukki district last night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset