Sailor recalls hijack "nightmare" after release
Kottayam: "It was a nightmare," Hari
C Nair, one of the 17 Indian sailors released by Somalian
pirates after spending 11 months in captivity, recalled on Wednesday.
The third engineer of Italian oil tanker Savina Caylyn,
Hari was among 22 seamen who had been held hostage by Somali
pirates since February 8 last year.
"This is a second birth for me, I never thought I would
come alive," he said.
Besides Hari, Bijesh of Koilandy and Fazil Sheikh of
Kanjanhad returned to their families yesterday after arriving
in Mumbai in the wee hours.
The crew was released along with the vessel on December
21. It was not known whether a ransom was paid for their
Savina Caylyn, owned by Italian shipping company Fratelli
D`Amato, was hijacked 500 miles off the coast of India while
on a voyage from Sudan to Malaysia in February last year.
There were 22 seamen, including 17 Indians and five
Italians, on board when the vessel was taken hostage and all
of them have been released.
"The first three months were alright as we had our own
food, but during the last five months life became miserable as
we were given only small amounts of food and lodged in a room
that would become sweltering hot," Hari said.
"The abductors gave us one bun for breakfast, at noon
rice-porridge and a ladle of plain rice for dinner," he
The Savina Caylyn was first escorted to the mother ship
the pirates and from there sailed for three days to the
Somalian coast, where they anchored along with nine other
ships for the past 11 months.
The tanker carrying crude oil was on a voyage from Sudan
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Why are people going so crazy over Reliance Jio test SIM
- Newborn with Zika virus found infected 2 months after birth
- Govinda ala re! Bollywood wishes Happy Janmashtami to all—See inside
- This is how CPI-M countered BJP’s Janmashtami procession in Kerala
- Six killed, 25 injured in bus-truck collusion in China