`SC directive on river-linking unfortunate`
Thiruvananthapuram: Terming as "unfortunate"
the Supreme Court directive to the Centre to implement the
river linking project, Kerala Opposition Leader VS Achuthanandan on Wednesdat said it was "detrimental" to the state`s
"If the waters in Pampa and Achankovil rivers are
diverted to Vypar as proposed in the project, the ecological
system of central Travancore would be destroyed," he told a
press conference here.
He said if the proposal was carried out, it would
seriously affect agriculture in Kuttanad and sound the
death-knell for Vembanad lake. Studies by national and
international experts on river-linking in Kerala had clearly
said that it would amount to `killing` the state.
He alleged that state Water Resources Minister P J Joseph
had not understood the gravity of the issue.The state
government was showing utter disregard to the issue as was
evident from the vague statement of Law Minister K M Mani
that the Supreme court directive would not affect the state,
Mani had said the directive was applicable only to states
concurring with the river-linking project and Kerala had not
yet approved the project.
Achuthanandan claimed that Centre had included
Pampa-Achankovil project among the 30 river-linking projects
proposed. The National Water Development Agency had suggested
that the direction of Pampa-Achankovil rivers be diverted by
linking them, he said. The Supreme Court, in its order, had
also asked the states to co-operate with the project.
Tamil Nadu had started constructing a Rs 100 crore dam at
Mekkara expecting the implementation of the proposal to divert
Kerala rivers which caused concern, he alleged.
He wanted Kerala government to explore the possibility of
filing a review petition before the Supreme Court on the
matter and requested Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to
intervene in the issue.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’