SC directs digitisation of experts` report on Mullaperiyar
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today directed digitisation of a voluminous expert committee`s report on safety aspects of Mullaperiyar dam which would be the basis for determining validity of an Act passed by Kerala Government to allegedly circumvent the apex court`s earlier direction on the issue.
The direction was given by a five-judge Constitution Bench of justices D K Jain, R M Lodha, H L Dattu, C K Prasad and A R Dave.
The expert committee had recently given a report in a sealed cover indicating that the century-old dam, which is the bone of contention between Tamil Nadu and Kerala, was structurally and hydrologically safe.
Though the apex court had earlier permitted Tamil Nadu to raise the water level upto 142 feet, Kerala had bought in an enactment in March 2006 restricting the hike to 136 feet compelling Tamil Nadu to approach the apex court again.
The five-judge bench of the court had earlier constituted the expert committee to examine afresh the safety aspect of the dam. The committee had submitted its report recently.
Observing that "we will have a paperless hearing", the bench directed the registry to digitise the 50,000-odd page report so as to enable the court to examine it.
The court also recorded the submission of Additional Solicitor General Haren Raval that the Ministry of Water Resources will render all assistance in the digitisation process.
The bench said after the digitisation, the respective states will be furnished copies of the report in digital format.
It posted the matter to October five for further directions.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says