SC order in graft case won`t impact polls: Vijayan
Thiruvananthapuram: CPI-M state unit secretary
Pinarayi Vijayan on Tuesday said the Supreme Court`s dismissal of
his plea questioning Governor`s nod to CBI to prosecute
him in a corruption case would not affect the LDF`s prospects
in the April 13 Kerala Assembly polls.
However,Vijayan said he was "surprised" at the apex court`s
decision not to entertain his plea as it came after
considering it in various stages since 2009 and even shifting
it to a new bench.
"The decision is surprising. But what shall we do other
than complying with it," he replied to queries at a
While dismissing the plea yesterday, the apex court said
Vijayan should have approached Kerala High Court first instead
of directly coming to Supreme Court on the matter.
Vijayan`s contention was that Governor R S Gavai had
overlooked the cabinet`s advice that it was not necessary
to grant sanction to prosecute him.
Vijayan was listed an accused by CBI which probed the
alleged irregularities in awarding of a contract to Canadian
company SNC Lavalin for renovation of three hydro electric
projects when he was the Power Minister in the state in 1997.
The opposition UDF had reacted to the development holding
that it exposed the LDF`s claim of opposing corruption at all
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!