SC orders special audit of Kerala`s Padmanabhaswamy temple
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday entrusted the administration of the Sri Padmanabhaswamy temple in Kerala to a five-member committee headed by the district judge of Thiruvananthapuram.
The bench of Justice RM Lodha and Justice AK Patnaik said former comptroller and auditor general (CAG) Vinod Rai would undertake the audit of the temple properties, assets and accounts.
The court also appointed a senior Indian Administrative Service officer and former administrator of the Guruvayur temple as the executive officer of the Sri Padmanabhaswamy temple.
The five-member committee will comprise the Thiruvananthapuram district judge, a tantri and chief nambi of the Sri Padmanabhaswamy temple and two more members, of which one will be appointed in consultation with the state government.
The apex court passed the order in view of the observation made by the senior advocate Gopal Subramaniam, who is appearing as an amicus curiae in the matter, that there were several serious irregularities in the management of the temple and its wealth.
He submitted there was need for independent management of the temple so that officials can carry out their function freely and fearlessly. The senior advocate said proper sealing and locking of trunks has to be carried out as it was found that seals were broken.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!