SC releases jailed Kerala CPI-M leader
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday directed the release of Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader MV Jayarajan who was jailed for six months by the Kerala High Court for using derogatory language against its judges.
An apex court bench of Justice RM Lodha and Justice HL Gokhale assailed the High Court for not affording Jayarajan an opportunity to appeal against his conviction and sentencing.
"You cannot deny a person right to a judicial process," the bench said.
The apex court also took note of the use of words like "reptile" and "worm" in the high court`s judgement.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened