Search conducted in Kozhikode prison
Kozhikode: In the backdrop of the controversy triggered by Facebook posting made by some accused in a political murder case lodged in the prison here, authorities on Monday conducted a thorough search in the prison complex.
The search came two days after a base model cellphone sans battery and SIM car was recovered during repairs to a pipe linked to a septic tank in the district jail.
Officials said they carried out a thorough search of the jail premises. `As part of searching, we are also planning to open the septic tank`, a top police official told PTI.
In a serious violation of prison rules, some of the accused in the Chandrasekharan murder case had made Facebook postings using their mobile phones.
The matter was exposed through a sting operation by a Malayalam TV channel,which also beamed photographs purportedly posted on Facebook by some of the key accused in the case after they were lodged in the prison as undertrials.
Chandrasekharan, who floated his own outfit RMP after quitting CPI(M), was hacked to death in May 2012 near his native village Onchiyam. Many of the accused in the case are local CPI(M) workers, apart from hired goons.
Meanwhile, the reported visit of CPI(M) MLA KK Lathika, to the jail, where her husband and an accused in the murder case, was lodged, soon after the Facebook episode surfaced, has fuelled another controversy.
A Malayalam TV channel had beamed the visit of Lathika along with three other people to the jail.
Chandrasekharan`s widow KK Rema, has demanded an inquiry into the visit of the MLA.
Kerala home minister Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan had visited the jail immediately after the incident and also constituted a three-member team to probe the issue.
Later, the government had also shifted DGP (Prison) Alexander Jacob from the post and ADGP TP Sen Kumar was given additional charge of DGP (Prison).
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan