Search for bodies in Kerala lake continues
Thekkady (Kerala): Indian Navy divers resumed the search for missing people in the Thekkady lake at the Periyar wildlife sanctuary Friday as slippers and scattered bits of clothing floated in the placid waters, mute remnants of the boat capsize that killed 41 tourists.
The otherwise crowded wildlife sanctuary was quiet with just a handful of foreign tourists unaware of the tragedy two days ago standing at the rim of the lake, ringed by the forests famous for their elephant sightings.
Idukki Superintendent of Police PK Kuttapayi said the divers were looking to see if they could recover any bodies.
"Even though we have not received any official complaint about missing people, there are reports that four people are yet to be traced. It appears there is some sort of confusion in this regard. The divers will be in the lake for some more time," Kuttapayi said.
Amongst those missing are the 19-year-old son and 15-year-old daughter of an Andhra Pradesh couple, who were in a hotel here and too heartbroken to talk to the media.
According to reports, a mother and daughter from Tamil Nadu were also reported missing after the accident.
Officials said all the bodies had been transported out by 2 am Friday to be sent on to their homes across the country for last rites.
The dead comprise 12 each from Delhi and Tamil Nadu, five each from West Bengal and Andhra Pradesh, three each from Karnataka and Kerala and one from Mumbai.
The ill-fated double-decker fibreglass boat owned by the state-run Kerala Tourism Development Corporation was pressed into service only last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!