Search operations for missing girl progresses
Kozhikode: Search operations for a girl, reported missing in yesterday`s flashfloods triggered by heavy rains in Pulloompara in the district, in which eight persons were killed, were progressing, official sources said on Wednesday.
District Collector K V Mohankumar said search operations were stopped yesterday after it was reported that the bodies of all the missing persons were recovered. However, on verification by officials and relatives at the Kozhikode Medical College Hospital, it was noticed that a nine-year-old girl was missing.
Search operations for the girl is progressing today, Mohankumar told PTI.
Officials had put the death toll at nine yeserday.
The heavy downpour in Pullorampara and Thiruvambady regions in Kozhikode and Iritty in Kannur had disrupted the traffic and the low-lying areas were inundated in flood waters.
Rehabilitation work is on in full swing and people from low lying areas have been evacuated to safer places in the two districts, officials said.
The Malabar region, including Kozhikode, Wayanad, Kannur and Kasargod districts, has been experiencing heavy rains for the past two days.
Kerala Chief minister Oommen Chandy had said in Delhi that the state government would provide all help to the people affected by the flash floods in the two districts.
Home Minister Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan visited Iritty region and assured all assistance to the affected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Suresh Raina denies Lalit Modi's match-fixing allegation, mulls legal action against former IPL boss