Security for Kerala CM Oommen Chandy tightened
Thiruvananthapuram: Security for Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy has been tightened in view of the continuing agitation by the Opposition CPI(M)-led Left Democratic Front against him on the solar scam issue.
LDF had announced last night that the blockade against the Chief Minister would continue till he steps down.
In addition to the existing 17-member security team, 10 commandos from the India Reserve Battalion (IRB) had been deputed for the purpose, police said.
Intelligence agencies had been demanding stronger security for the Chief Minister for quite some time, but Chandy declined it saying he did not want to keep distance from the people.
The commandos already in the ring would continue, while the newly selected members would be in their IRB uniforms. The Chief Minister`s pilot vehicles would have five members from the latest recruits, they said.
LDF has been on an agitational path since the scam broke out last month and had organised a Secretariat siege with more one lakh volunteers on August 12 as part of move to intensify the stir, demanding resignation of Chandy and order a judicial probe into the case.
The stir was temporarily called off following the government`s decision to order a judicial probe into the issue.
However, a decision on the terms of reference for the probe has not yet been taken as LDF decided not to hold talks with the government on the issue.
The scam pertains to financial cheating of several people by main accused Saritha Nair and Biju Radhakrishnan. The duo allegedly flaunted their clout with the CM`s office to dupe unsuspecting clients of huge sums.
It took a political turn after arrest of a personal aide of Chandy for his alleged links with the fraudsters.
Two other personal staff members of Chandy were removed and state Public Relations Director A Firoz was also arrested in a related case.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read