Selvaraj changes his stand towards UDF
Thiruvananthapuram: A day after resigning from CPI-M and his assembly membership, R Selvaraj on Saturday hinted he was not averse to associating with ruling Congress-led UDF, saying the functioning of LDF and the Marxist party "is worse" than the ruling front.
"I will take a decision considering the sentiments and opinion of my followers and supporters", said Selvaraj, whose sudden decision to quit the assembly was dubbed by CPI-M as a `conspiracy` by UDF to protect its government which has a wafer thin majority.
Selvaraj, who had yesterday ruled out aligning with UDF, told reporters today that UDF was not "untouchable" to him as "the functioning of LDF and CPI-M is worse than UDF".
Denying the CPI-M charge that he resinged after accepting money from UDF, Selvaraj said there was no truth in the allegation.
"I have also not met Chief Minister Oommen Chandy before submitting the resignation to Speaker G Karthikeyan yesterday", Selvaraj, who was elected from the Neyyattinkara assembly segment, said.
Selvaraj resigned his MLA post and also from CPI-M yesterday alleging he was a `victim of factionalism` in the party.
The decision comes as a shock to CPI-M as UDF is ruling the state with a wafer-thin margin and the opposition is expecting a political change in the event of an opposition LDF victory in the March 17 by-poll to Piravom assembly seat.
LDF had won 68 seats in the March 2011 assembly polls and Congress-led UDF 72. With the death of former Food Minister T M Jacob, who represented Piravom, UDF`s tally has come down to 71, which makes the bypoll crucial for both fronts.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy denied CPI-M`s charge that Selvaraj`s resignation was engineered by UDF and said the allegation was to cover up the party`s "ignominy" over the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?