Selvaraj changes his stand towards UDF
Thiruvananthapuram: A day after resigning from CPI-M and his assembly membership, R Selvaraj on Saturday hinted he was not averse to associating with ruling Congress-led UDF, saying the functioning of LDF and the Marxist party "is worse" than the ruling front.
"I will take a decision considering the sentiments and opinion of my followers and supporters", said Selvaraj, whose sudden decision to quit the assembly was dubbed by CPI-M as a `conspiracy` by UDF to protect its government which has a wafer thin majority.
Selvaraj, who had yesterday ruled out aligning with UDF, told reporters today that UDF was not "untouchable" to him as "the functioning of LDF and CPI-M is worse than UDF".
Denying the CPI-M charge that he resinged after accepting money from UDF, Selvaraj said there was no truth in the allegation.
"I have also not met Chief Minister Oommen Chandy before submitting the resignation to Speaker G Karthikeyan yesterday", Selvaraj, who was elected from the Neyyattinkara assembly segment, said.
Selvaraj resigned his MLA post and also from CPI-M yesterday alleging he was a `victim of factionalism` in the party.
The decision comes as a shock to CPI-M as UDF is ruling the state with a wafer-thin margin and the opposition is expecting a political change in the event of an opposition LDF victory in the March 17 by-poll to Piravom assembly seat.
LDF had won 68 seats in the March 2011 assembly polls and Congress-led UDF 72. With the death of former Food Minister T M Jacob, who represented Piravom, UDF`s tally has come down to 71, which makes the bypoll crucial for both fronts.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy denied CPI-M`s charge that Selvaraj`s resignation was engineered by UDF and said the allegation was to cover up the party`s "ignominy" over the issue.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read