Setback to Achuthanandan as CC endorses expulsion of aides
Thiruvananthapuram: CPI-M Central Committee`s endorsement of the expulsion of three personal staff of former Chief Minister V S Achuthanandan is being seen as a setback to the veteran leader locked in a bitter feud with the dominant faction led by state Secretary Pinarayi Vijayan.
However, in a relief to the Leader, the politbureau and the CC had yesterday declined to give in to pressures from his rivals to remove him as the Leader of the Opposition in the state Assembly.
The party`s state committee, dominated by Vijayan`s supporters, had in December decided to expel from the party three of Achuthanandan`s personal staff members, including his press secretary, on the ground that they had been leaking out party information to media.
As per the CPI(M)`s scheme of things, expulsion from the party would mean that they would lose their job as salaried employees on the personal staff of Achuthanandan in his capacity as the Leader of the Opposition.
A party committee which probed the allegation against them had arrived at the conclusion that the trio had not only leaked internal information but also sought to denigrate the image of some of the leaders while doing so.
Achuthanandan had then objected to the decision and the matter was taken up with the central leadership, which stalled its implementation till it was ratified by the CC yesterday.
The Marxist veteran is yet to react to the CC decision, apparently waiting for official word from party General Secretary Prakash Karat.
However, political analysts, who see the CC`s endorsement as a setback to him, are of the view that Achuthanandan might not remain silent on the development for long.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations