Seven students held on murder charge remanded
Namakkal: The seven Keralite engineering students of a private college here, arrested on the charge of murdering one of their juniors and severely injuring another in a suspected case of ragging, were on Saturday remanded to judicial custody for 15 days by a court.
The students, charged with murder, rioting and attempt to murder, were produced before Rasipuram Judicial Magistrate A Munuswamy who remanded them to judicial custody.
Two of them were lodged in the Central Prison in Salem while the others were sent to the Sub-jail at Paramathy.
The third year students of Gnanamani Engineering College had yesterday asked their juniors to fetch them drinking water from a tank which they refused, following which they were threatened with dire consequences.
After college hours, the duo left for home on a motorbike and as they neared a junction, were intercepted by the seven students in a car and attacked with iron rods. One of the juniors died on the spot and the other suffered head injuries, police said.
The students sped away in the car, but locals alerted the police, who nabbed them at nearby Omalur.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!