Seven students held on murder charge remanded
Namakkal: The seven Keralite engineering students of a private college here, arrested on the charge of murdering one of their juniors and severely injuring another in a suspected case of ragging, were on Saturday remanded to judicial custody for 15 days by a court.
The students, charged with murder, rioting and attempt to murder, were produced before Rasipuram Judicial Magistrate A Munuswamy who remanded them to judicial custody.
Two of them were lodged in the Central Prison in Salem while the others were sent to the Sub-jail at Paramathy.
The third year students of Gnanamani Engineering College had yesterday asked their juniors to fetch them drinking water from a tank which they refused, following which they were threatened with dire consequences.
After college hours, the duo left for home on a motorbike and as they neared a junction, were intercepted by the seven students in a car and attacked with iron rods. One of the juniors died on the spot and the other suffered head injuries, police said.
The students sped away in the car, but locals alerted the police, who nabbed them at nearby Omalur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued