Sex racket case: HC directs IGP to supervise probe
Kochi: Kerala High Court on Monday directed South
Zone IGP K Padmakumar to supervise investigation of a case
relating to a sex racket in which young girls from the state
were taken to Gulf countries.
A division bench comprising Chief Justice J Chelemewar and
Justice P Ramachandra Menon directed the state and provide
necessary support for the probe, on a petition filed by one of
the victims, who claimed to have escaped from the Gulf.
The court also sought a progress report of the probe by
According to the petitioner, over 300 girls from Kerala
are detained in various centres in Gulf countries and are
seeking intervention of the state government.
The petitioner said she was offered a job during 2007 in a
super market at Sharjah. Thereafter she was kept in a flat
there and abused by several persons. Over 300 girls from the
state were victims of the racket, she said.
The 30-year-old petitioner had sought a direction to state
Home Secretary to appoint a Special Investigation Team headed
by an officer in the rank of IGP and conduct an investigation
into the case.
She also sought to take steps to rescue those victims
trapped in UAE.
The petitioner said though the Pathnamthitta police had
registered a case in 2007, there were serious lapses in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India