Sexual harassment case: Kerala govt to consider closing centre
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Government Tuesday
said it would consider closing down the controversial `Abhaya Kendram` centre at Agali in Palakkad district following
complaints of sexual harassment from five girl inmates.
Home Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan said five cases,
including attempt to rape, had been registered against two
persons who run the centre of Kochi-based `Raksha Villa`.
Police investigation are progressing and steps have been
taken to arrest the culprits, he said in the Assembly, adding,
the five girls, who made the complaint, were sent back home
along with their parents.
CPI (M) leader K S Saleeka said 32 inmates were in the
Kendra which was functioning "unauthorisedly" since 1993.
Among the inmates seven girls, including the complainers,
were in the age-group of 15 to 25, she said.
She wanted strict regulations for the conduct of such
centres and demanded closing down of the Kendram.
The harassment of the girls, all from Ernakulam district,
came to light after they fled the centre on Friday last and
were found at Olavakkode railway station the next day.
The girls were at the centre for the last two to three
months to cure depression, it was stated.
Kerala Social Welfare Board Chairperson Girija Surendran,
who visited the centre, is expected to submit a report to
Chief Minister V S Achuthanandan after a probe.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Congress rushes in defence of 'sidelined' AAP Punjab convener
- Bad time continues for banks; Kingfisher Airlines brands auction fails again
- Punjab seeks CBI probe in shooting of RSS leader
- French PM Manuel Valls praises economy, says growth target in reach
- Judges must not hesitate to give severest punishment to rapists: Court