Sexual harassment case: Kerala govt to consider closing centre
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Government Tuesday
said it would consider closing down the controversial `Abhaya Kendram` centre at Agali in Palakkad district following
complaints of sexual harassment from five girl inmates.
Home Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan said five cases,
including attempt to rape, had been registered against two
persons who run the centre of Kochi-based `Raksha Villa`.
Police investigation are progressing and steps have been
taken to arrest the culprits, he said in the Assembly, adding,
the five girls, who made the complaint, were sent back home
along with their parents.
CPI (M) leader K S Saleeka said 32 inmates were in the
Kendra which was functioning "unauthorisedly" since 1993.
Among the inmates seven girls, including the complainers,
were in the age-group of 15 to 25, she said.
She wanted strict regulations for the conduct of such
centres and demanded closing down of the Kendram.
The harassment of the girls, all from Ernakulam district,
came to light after they fled the centre on Friday last and
were found at Olavakkode railway station the next day.
The girls were at the centre for the last two to three
months to cure depression, it was stated.
Kerala Social Welfare Board Chairperson Girija Surendran,
who visited the centre, is expected to submit a report to
Chief Minister V S Achuthanandan after a probe.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir