Sexual harassment case: Kerala govt to consider closing centre
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Government Tuesday
said it would consider closing down the controversial `Abhaya Kendram` centre at Agali in Palakkad district following
complaints of sexual harassment from five girl inmates.
Home Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan said five cases,
including attempt to rape, had been registered against two
persons who run the centre of Kochi-based `Raksha Villa`.
Police investigation are progressing and steps have been
taken to arrest the culprits, he said in the Assembly, adding,
the five girls, who made the complaint, were sent back home
along with their parents.
CPI (M) leader K S Saleeka said 32 inmates were in the
Kendra which was functioning "unauthorisedly" since 1993.
Among the inmates seven girls, including the complainers,
were in the age-group of 15 to 25, she said.
She wanted strict regulations for the conduct of such
centres and demanded closing down of the Kendram.
The harassment of the girls, all from Ernakulam district,
came to light after they fled the centre on Friday last and
were found at Olavakkode railway station the next day.
The girls were at the centre for the last two to three
months to cure depression, it was stated.
Kerala Social Welfare Board Chairperson Girija Surendran,
who visited the centre, is expected to submit a report to
Chief Minister V S Achuthanandan after a probe.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India