‘Sharing of power from nuke plants is in place’
Kochi: Union Minister of State for Power KC
Venugopal today said a format with regard to sharing of power
from Nuclear and Thermal plants was in place, which had not
been altered so far.
The minister was responding to a query from media personnel
over Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa staking claim
over the plant`s entire projected generation of 2000 MW power
from Kudankulam nuclear plant.
Venugopal said the allocation of power from nuclear and
thermal plants were based on pre-set norms. There is a clear
format as per which 50 per cent of power allocated from these
plants would go to the home state where it was located, 15 per
cent to the Centre and the remaining is decided as per the per
capita consumption and allocation to each state. These norms
have not been changed so far, he said.
Kerala was getting the maximum unalloted quota from central
pool compared to other southern states--Tamil Nadu, Andhra
Pradesh, Karnataka, he said.
About 1300 MW central share has been alloted to Kerala.
In the 11th five year plan, 55,000 MW of power was
generated and Kerala`s contribution was 100 mw. In the 12th
plan, the Centre was planning to generate 75,000 MW of power
and Kerala`s contribution would be nil, he said.
While there would be no power crisis in Tamil Nadu and
Karnataka in the next two years, Kerala`s consumption by 2016
will touch 4800 MW and there would be a deficit of 1000 mw, he
The Centre was making efforts to reduce the excise duty on
Naptha, he said.
Kerala should go for non-conventional energy like wind and
solar and mini hydel projects of 25 MW for its power needs, he
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, reacting to his
TN counterpart`s demand, said it was for the Centre to take a
decision on the matter.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre