Sheila Dikshit to take oath as Kerala Governor on March 11
New Delhi: Sheila Dikshit, the former three-time Congress Chief Minister of Delhi, will take over as Kerala Governor on Tuesday at a function in Trivandrum.
The 75-year-old Dikshit would be administered the oath by Kerala High Court Chief Justice Dr Manjula Chellur. She is expected to leave for Trivandrum tomorrow, said her aide.
Dikshit will succeed Nikhil Kumar, a former Commissioner of Delhi Police. As she heads to Kerala, she will be accompanied by her family members and a number of former ministers and sitting and former Congress MLAs.
Dikshit was appointed Governor of Kerala on March 4, within three months of her defeat in the recent Delhi Assembly polls. She was appointed to the post following Kumar`s resignation.
In the Delhi Assembly elections in December last year, Dikshit suffered an ignominious defeat by more than 22,000 votes at the hands of Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) leader Arvind Kejriwal in her New Delhi seat. Kejriwal, who succeeded Dikshit as chief minister, has since resigned over the Jan Lokpal Bill issue.
The Congress came a poor third in the polls, bagging eight seats in a House of 70. Dikshit served as the Delhi Chief Minister from 1998 to 2013. She has also represented the Kannauj Parliamentary constituency in Uttar Pradesh between 1984 and 1989.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow