Ship captain jailed, fisherman kin seek relief
Kochi: The arrested Captain of Singapore flagged merchant vessel `Prabhu Daya`, suspected to have collided with a boat off Kerala resulting in the death of five fishermen, was on Wedesday remanded to 14 days judicial custody by a court.
Gordon Charless Pereira, arrested by Kerala police from the vessel in Chennai yesterday, was brought to the state and produced before the First Class Judicial Magistrate`s court in Ambalapzuha near Alapuzha which remanded him to judicial
Meanwhile, the relatives of one of the five deceased fishermen today approached the Kerala High Court seeking Rs two crore compensation from the ship`s owner.
In a petition, the wife, mother and three other relatives of Xavier Antony sought a direction to the Kerala police to seize the vessel currently anchored at the outer anchorage of Chennai port.
The accused, including the Captain of the vessel, were liable for the accident as it was caused due to negligence, the petition charged.
The Captain`s counsel made a plea before the court seeking to give him special consideration under custody. The court would hear the plea on Friday.
In another development, Mayur Virendrakumar, the seaman attached to the vessel, who was directing it when the collision had taken place on March 1, was sent to police custody for four days by the court here yesterday.
Virendrakumar, the second accused in the case, was arrested from the ship in Chennai on March 9 and has been remanded.
The first accused and the second officer of the vessel, Prasobh Sugathan, who is now under treatment in Sri Lanka, would be brought here soon, police sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared