Ship firing case: BJP slams Ferrari
Thiruvananthapuram: The BJP in Kerala has slammed Ferrari`s move to display the Italian Navy flag on its racing cars during the Indian Grand Prix to express solidarity with two Italian marines facing trial in Kerala for gunning down two Indian fishermen.
In a letter to Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde, BJP state president V Muraleedharan said there "has been a brazen attempt by the Italian government to interfere in the internal affairs of India, especially the judiciary."
The BJP leader alleged that shortly after Ferrari announced its decision, an Italian minister had gone on Twitter to congratulate the company.
He wanted the Government of India to stop Ferrari from making an "affront on the nation`s sovereignty by banning Ferrari from participating if they do not withdraw from the controversial step."
The marines of the ship `Enrica Lexie`, Latorre Massimiliano and Salvatore Girone are facing trial for gunning down the fishermen off Kerala coast in February last.
According to reports, Formula 1 racing division of Italian auto major Ferrari would be fixing the flag on its cars during the Grand Prix this weekend to express solidarity with the two marines.
The National Fishworkers Forum has also taken objection to Ferrai`s decision, holding it amounted to challenging the fishermen community of the country and also a shame on the nation.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India