Silence of PM on KG Balakrishnan issue `unfortunate`: Iyer
Kochi: Former Supreme Court judge, VR Krishna Iyer, on Sunday said the `silence` of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the allegations of amassment of wealth against the family members of NHRC chairperson and former CJI KG Balakrishnan was `unfortunate`.
“I am surprised that in spite of the serious allegations against Justice Balakrishnan, the Prime Minister has not responded to it at all,” Justice Iyer said.
Iyer also said it was Justice Giri, who had resigned from the Kerala high court and was now practicing in the Supreme Court, who had requested him not to write to the Prime Minister regarding Justice Balakrishnan.
Iyer had earlier not named justice Giri.
Justice Giri came home and told me that he came because Justice Balakrishanan had asked him to tell me that I should not write to the Prime Minister, Iyer said.
Reacting to the report, Justice Giri told a television channel that he had not tried to influence Justice Iyer from writing to the Prime Minister on the Justice Balakrishnan issue and said he was `deeply hurt`.
“I see Justice Iyer as my guru.”
Justice Iyer had said that Justice Balakrishnan should resign and face a probe.
"I think he should resign and face inquiry. It is left to him. I had demanded a commission of inquiry, not merely against Balakrishnan but also against his family members -- brother, son, sons-in law, daughters.”
Media reports had stated that Justice Balakrishnan`s brother KG Bhaskaran and his two sons in law-- Sreenijan and Benny - had amassed wealth disproportionate to their known sources of income while he was the Supreme Court judge.
The Kerala government has ordered a vigilance probe against Sreenijan and various lawyers associations have also demanded that Justice Balakrishnan should resign and face probe to clear his name.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says