Sister of man killed in Sudan falls to death, organs donated
Thiruvananthapuram: The family of Ranjith Nelluvelil, the CEO of Kochi-based Lots Shipping who was shot dead in Sudan on Monday, had to bear another tragedy as his sister who had come to his house on hearing the news tripped down a staircase and died of serious head injuries.
The relatives of Sherly (49), Ranjith`s sister, decided to donate her organs after she was declared brain dead when admitted to a private hospital here after the fall last night.
Sherly`s son Jitin took the initiative to donate the organs as she had earlier expressed her wish to donate organs after death.
A team of doctors retrieved her liver, kidneys, and cornea for patients under treatment at various hospitals. The liver would be transplanted to a patient from Kothamangalam, the doctors at Sree Uthradam Thirunal (SUT) hospital said.
The kidneys and eyes would be for patients in the priority list of medical college hospital and the regional eye hospital here, they said.
Ranjith, 56, the chief executive officer of Lots Shipping, was waylaid and killed in a theft attempt by thugs in southern Sudan when he was returning to his hotel. He had gone to Sudan three weeks ago in connection with a project related to the maintenance of three barges operated there.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145