SIT files preliminary report on Mani
Kottayam: The Special Investigation Team probing the statements made by senior CPI-M functionary M M Mani on political murders allegedly by Marxist party activists on Thursday filed its preliminary report with Ernakulam range IGP K Padmakumar.
The IG held a meeting here with members of SIT.
"The investigation is progressing," Padmakumar told reporters later but did not elaborate.
The government had directed SIT to conduct a comprehensive probe, considering the serious nature of Mani`s remarks.
Police have booked Mani under various charges, including murder, conspiracy and abetment to conspiracy.
Mani, the CPI-M Idukki District Secretary, had told a public meeting in that town on May 25 that there had been instances of the party eliminating its foes in the past.
CPI-M distanced itself from Mani`s speech with its State Secretary Pinarayi Vijayan censuring him for his remarks, saying Mani had committed a `grave mistake` and deviated from the party line.
Mani later clarified he was only narrating the sequence of events that had happened in Idukki and killing enemies was not the party`s policy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by Fadnavis, Rijiju; Aviation Minister apologises
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army