SIT to probe charges levelled against Cong MP
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala government has decided to set up a Special Investigation Team to probe the allegations against Congress MP from Kannur K Sudhakaran that he had conspired to kill CPI-M leader E P Jayarajan.
The composition of SIT would be announced tomorrow, Home Minister Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan told reporters in Kottayam today.
A former aide of Sudhakaran had yesterday alleged that the MP was involved in a "conspiracy" to murder Jayarajan in early 1990s.
CPI-M state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan, LDF opposition leaders and KPCC President Ramesh Chennithala had asked for an impartial probe into the revelation of Prashant Babu, a former accomplice of Sudhakaran.
Reacting to government decision to set up SIT, Jayarajan, MLA from Mattannur in Kannur district, said the probe should not be one to give `clean chit` to Sudhakaran.
It should be done to unearth the truth, he said.
Jayarajan was attacked in a train at Ongole in Andhra Pradesh in 1996 while he was returning from New Delhi after attending the Party Congress.
Talking to reporters at Alappuzha, Chennithala while asking for a probe into the issue said that Congress had nothing to hide in the matter.
"CPI-M, which had lost its image in the wake of RMP leader T P Chandrasekheran`s murder, is trying to divert the attention of the people," he said.
Several CPI-M workers were arrested in connection with the murder of Chandrasekheran that took place in May 5 in Oonchiyam in Kozhikode.
Meanwhile, CPI-M State Secretary Pinarayi Vijayan alleged that a section of media was trying to blackout the news on charges against Sudhakaran.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!