Situation returning to normal in Kozhikode
Kozhikode: The situation at nearby Panniyankara, which witnessed protests in the wake of death of two men while trying to evade a police check, is returning to normal even as authorities said anti-social elements were behind the violence.
Police have arrested 11 persons in connection with the violence yesterday.
Though the situation is limping back to normal, tight police security is being maintained in and around Panniyankara and Thiruvannor, Kozhikode District Collector, KV Mohan Kumar said.
After an all-party meeting attended, among others, by Kozhikode city police commissioner, Sparjankumar, Pradeepkumar, MLA and various political party leaders, Kumar said the violence was an organised one with anti-social elements behind it.
Violence broke out after protesters took to the streets yesterday seeking strong action against police for allegedly causing death of the two youths.
There were criticisms at the meeting against the police and demands were also raised for strong action against the police official responsible for the accident at Mankauv-Thiruvannoor on Saturday last, in which the two youths were run over by a state transport bus.
Sparjankumar said the police checks conducted were routine.
Demand was also raised at the meeting for paying financial assistance to the families of the victims and government job for one family member.
Police had resorted to cane-charge and fired teargas shells to disperse an irate crowd after it turned violent and attacked a police station here yesterday.
Six police personnel and a few protesters suffered minor injuries in stone pelting in the violence.
A television channel`s camera was damaged and a reporter and a photo journalist of a Malayalam daily was manhandled by the crowd.
Two men, both aged 27, were ran over by a bus after their two-wheeler skidded while they attempted to avoid a police check for riders without helmets.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi