Soaring medical costs a serious issue: Antony
Thiruvananthapuram: Even as medical science is progressing with the help of various advancements, treatment expenses are also soaring along with them, breaking the "backbone" of many a family, Defence Minister A K Antony said here on Sunday.
"Though medical science is progressing, the treatment expenses are also going up steeply in the country.
No disease is incurable today but people die as they could not find huge
amounts for treatment," he said here while distributing medical aids under the `Karunya Benevolent Fund` launched by the Kerala Government.
The scheme is financed by proceeds from the `Karunya` lottery of the state government.
"Not only poor people, but even the middle class families are finding it difficult to afford the huge cost of medicines and hospital expenses.
In many cases, the financial backbone of the entire family is broken by hospital expenses these days," Antony said.
The minister also distributed the treatment assistance, allotted to a number of selected patients suffering from various ailments, under the `Karunya Benevolent Fund` scheme.
Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said the funds for the patients are collected through the sale of `Karunya` lottery under the aegis of the State Lottery Department.
State Finance Minister K M Mani said the new scheme would be a great solace for a large number of people suffering from heart ailments, cancer and kidney problems.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Turkish soldier killed in clash with Kurdish militants - security sources
- Amitabh Bachchan set to return as the 'angry man' in 'Sarkar 3'
- Has somebody blocked you on WhatsApp? Know how to unblock yourself
- Reforms to aid growth; banking sector risks remain: Moody's
- Here's why NASA calls low level of Arctic sea ice the 'new normal' – Watch!