Soaring medical costs a serious issue: Antony
Thiruvananthapuram: Even as medical science is progressing with the help of various advancements, treatment expenses are also soaring along with them, breaking the "backbone" of many a family, Defence Minister A K Antony said here on Sunday.
"Though medical science is progressing, the treatment expenses are also going up steeply in the country.
No disease is incurable today but people die as they could not find huge
amounts for treatment," he said here while distributing medical aids under the `Karunya Benevolent Fund` launched by the Kerala Government.
The scheme is financed by proceeds from the `Karunya` lottery of the state government.
"Not only poor people, but even the middle class families are finding it difficult to afford the huge cost of medicines and hospital expenses.
In many cases, the financial backbone of the entire family is broken by hospital expenses these days," Antony said.
The minister also distributed the treatment assistance, allotted to a number of selected patients suffering from various ailments, under the `Karunya Benevolent Fund` scheme.
Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said the funds for the patients are collected through the sale of `Karunya` lottery under the aegis of the State Lottery Department.
State Finance Minister K M Mani said the new scheme would be a great solace for a large number of people suffering from heart ailments, cancer and kidney problems.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why separatist are targeting patriotic residents in Kashmir?
- Why separatist are targeting patriotic residents in Kashmir? Part II
- Why separatist are targeting patriotic residents in Kashmir? Part III
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- Low-cost cancer treatment should be priority: NITI Aayog CEO
- SC orders medical board in abnormal foetus case
- Obama vows support for Germany after Munich shooting
- Islamic State supporters hail deadly Munich shooting on social media
- 1st Test, Day 2 Report: Kohli double ton, Ashwin century put India in charge against West Indies