Soaring medical costs a serious issue: Antony
Thiruvananthapuram: Even as medical science is progressing with the help of various advancements, treatment expenses are also soaring along with them, breaking the "backbone" of many a family, Defence Minister A K Antony said here on Sunday.
"Though medical science is progressing, the treatment expenses are also going up steeply in the country.
No disease is incurable today but people die as they could not find huge
amounts for treatment," he said here while distributing medical aids under the `Karunya Benevolent Fund` launched by the Kerala Government.
The scheme is financed by proceeds from the `Karunya` lottery of the state government.
"Not only poor people, but even the middle class families are finding it difficult to afford the huge cost of medicines and hospital expenses.
In many cases, the financial backbone of the entire family is broken by hospital expenses these days," Antony said.
The minister also distributed the treatment assistance, allotted to a number of selected patients suffering from various ailments, under the `Karunya Benevolent Fund` scheme.
Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said the funds for the patients are collected through the sale of `Karunya` lottery under the aegis of the State Lottery Department.
State Finance Minister K M Mani said the new scheme would be a great solace for a large number of people suffering from heart ailments, cancer and kidney problems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed