Solar panel scam: LDF protest at CM`s venue turns violent
Malappuram: Black flag demonstration staged by LDF workers over solar panel scam at the venue of a public function of Chief Minister Oommen Chandy at Manjery near here turned violent Sunday evening, resulting in minor injuries to several persons in stone pelting.
Tension prevailed in the area for a while as the protesters clashed with police who prevented them from marching to the venue, where Chandy had arrived to inaugurate a Government Medical College Hospital.
According to police, at least six persons, including a mediaperson, suffered injuries in stone throwing by the marchers. Tension escalated as activists of IUML`s youth wing Youth League sought to resist the LDF activists.
Police, however, brought the situation under control and the Chief Minister inaugurated the Medical College unfazed by the protest.
Criticising the LDF for seeking to stall the programme, Chandy said the Government would go ahead with its developmental and welfare agenda ignoring the provocations sought to be created by the LDF.
Union Minister E Ahamed and several state ministers attended the function, which marked the inauguration of the sixth state-run medical college in the state and the first in Malappuram district. For time being, the medical college would be attached to the District General hospital in Manjery.
The LDF and its youth outfits have been staging black flag protests during the public functions of Chandy for the last two months, demanding his resignation over the solar panel scam.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...