Solar scam: Chandy says govt open for any probe
Thiruvananthapuram: Facing heat over the solar panel scam, Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy on Monday said the government was ready for any probe after the ongoing SIT investigation was over, even as thousands of LDF workers today laid siege of the secretariat demanding his resignation and a judicial probe.
After a meeting with top leaders of Congress and UDF partners, Chandy told reporters that he had already said the government was ready for any kind of probe and would like to reiterate.
The SIT was all set to give the charge sheet in seven related cases by this weekend. If the opposition had any objections or suggestions, the government was ready to look into it with an open mind, Chandy said.
In an apparent bid to reach out to the LDF, Chandy said "I am ready for a dialogue with the opposition to end the indefinite agitation launched by them".
On the day one, the opposition campaign remained peaceful with Left leaders repeatedly exhorting the cadres not to get provoked and the government refraining from using any force to break the agitation, though security in the city has been tightened.
LDF volunteers, mobilised from all over the state with the CPI(M) and CPI cranking up their organisational machinery, blocked three of the four gates leading to seat of power pressing their demands including a judicial inquiry.
The police, however, took control of the "Cantonment" Gate, through which Chandy, his cabinet colleagues, bureaucrats and employees entered the secretariat complex.
Attendance was poor in the secretariat but those who turned up, including women employees, went inside without facing hassle.
Giving a boost to the two-month old campaign, national leaders of the Left and allied parties including JD(S) supremo and former Prime Minister H D Deve Gowda, CPI(M) General Secretary Prakash Karat and CPI`s Sudhakar Reddy besides opposition leader V S Achuthanandan and CPI(M) state secretary Pinaryi Vijayan addressed the protesters.
Chandy and his colleagues, who entered the secretariat quite early in the morning, held a special cabinet meeting to take stock of the situation.
Chandy, later also met Governor Nikhil Kumar, which CMO termed as routine monthly interaction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now