Solar scam: Chandy says he is ready to face probe
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, under attack from the Opposition over the solar panel scam, has expressed readiness to include himself and his office under the ambit of the judicial probe announced by the government into the issue.
Chandy conveyed this to leaders of the ruling United Democratic Front constituents, Front sources said on Tuesday.
The Chief Minister, however, made it clear to the Front partners that he was not going to resign holding that the campaign against him by Opposition CPI(M)-led Left Democratic Front was politically motivated.
Chandy told the leaders that he had nothing to hide on the issue and he did not want to be under the shadow of doubt. Even if his office and himself were included in the terms of reference for the probe, Chandy said he was confident that the LDF would not be able to gather any evidence against him.
The LDF had given a letter to the UDF leadership saying that any probe into the scam would be futile without including Chandy and his office in the terms of reference.
The state cabinet meeting tomorrow is likely to discuss the terms and reference for the judicial probe after arriving at a consensus among the UDF leaders.
The scam relates to cheating people of huge sums by accused Biju Radhakrishnan and Saritha Nair, both under arrest, by offering solar energy solutions. A Special Investigation Team probing the case has completed its probe.
The case assumed a serious political dimension with the arrest of Tenny Joppan, a Personal Assistant in the Chief Minister`s office, for his alleged links with the accused.
Former Director of Public Relations Department A Firoz and tele-actress and danseuse Shalu Menon were also arrested in a related case. Shalu and Joppan are out on bail.
LDF has been alleging that such a huge scam would not have taken place without the collusion of the Chief Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- IRS website hacked by suspected Pakistani hackers, messages like 'Pakistan Zindabad' posted