Solar scam: LDF insists on including CM and his office under probe
Thiruvananthapuram: The CPI-M-led LDF Opposition in Kerala, waging an agitation against Chief Minister Oommen Chandy over the solar panel scam, Friday gave its suggestions including the demand to bring Chandy and his office under the ambit of judicial probe into the scam.
Chandy, on the other hand, maintained the opposition was raking up "political demands".
The main focus of the terms and reference of the probe should be the Chief Minister and his office, LDF convenor Vaikkom Viswan told reporters here today.
A letter, including opposition recommendations to be included in the terms and reference, was handed over to Home Minister Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan`s office, he said.
Viswam alleged there were proofs to link Chandy and his office with the scam. "We have given 32 points in the letter to establish this", he said.
There was no point in a judicial probe if the CM`s office was excluded, he said, and charged the government with "attempting to sabotage" the investigation into the case.
An investigation should be conducted into the attempt to sabotage the statement of Saritha Nair, the key acccused in the case, he said.
A judicial probe is sought to expose the role of higher ups. The opposition would continue with protests till the Chief Minister resigns, he said to a question.
Chandy said in Malappuram that the opposition has a political agenda in connection with the judicial probe in the solar case.
He criticised the oppostion`s stand not to have a discussion with government on the terms and reference of the probe and said his government has nothing to hide in the matter.
He said though the opposition refused to have talks with the government "we will examine the suggestions of opposition while finalising the terms and references of the probe".
The scam pertains to cheating of many people by accused Biju Radhakrishnan and Saritha Nair, both under arrest, by offering clients solar energy solutions. They allegedly flaunted their clout with the CM`s office to dupe unsuspecting clients of huge sums.
It took a political turn after the arrest of a Personal Assistant of Chandy for his alleged links with the accused. A gunman of the Chief Minister was also suspended for his alleged association with the fraudsters.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Pakistan denies Dawood's presence in Karachi, says 'UN report motivated by India's aim to malign us'
- 'Chikungunya cases highest this year since 2006'
- Umbilical cells linked to increase risk of obesity: Study
- New movement discovered in blink of an eye
- Antibiotics increases Type 1 diabetes risk in children