Solar scam: LDF workers lay siege to government secretariat in Kerala
Thiruvananthapuram: Mounting pressure on Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy to tender his resignation over the solar scam, the CPI (M)-led Left Democratic Front (LDF) has today begun an indefinite siege on the state secretariat.
Former Prime Minister and Janata Dal (Secular) chief H.D Deve Gowda has also arrived at the venue and joined the thousands of activists of the LDF, who have blocked three entry and exit gates of the secretariat and claim that the fourth will be blocked later in the day.
CPI (M) General Secretary Prakash Karat on Sunday informed that siege of the Secretariat will continue for a week.
“Despite all the demands so far, the Chief Minister and the Government is refusing to concede. So, the LDF has called for a siege of the Secretariat with big demonstrations beginning on Monday, August 12. This will continue for a week….We will mobilize the lakh of people (who will) surround the Secretariat,” he said.
“We are not going to resort to any violent action. But the way that the Government is preparing, I think they are planning a violent crackdown or a repression—that will not suppress this protest,” he added.
Chandy yesterday said the Special Investigation Team (SIT) of the state police is probing the solar panel cheating case.
Chandy said the solar scam involves cheating to the tune of seven crore rupees and the government has not lost a single rupee.
Chandy had earlier last month assured that stringent punishment would be given to those found guilty in the solar panels supply and execution scam.
The Left Democratic Front in Kerala had earlier demanded a judicial probe in the matter.
The solar scam pertains to cheating several persons amounting to crores of rupees by Saritha Nair and her accomplice Biju Radhakrishnan by offering solar panel solutions.
It took a political turn with the arrest of one of Chandy``s close personal aides, who has alleged links with the accused. Two other employees in his personal staff have also been removed in connection with the scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India