Solar scam: LDF workers lay siege to government secretariat in Kerala
Thiruvananthapuram: Mounting pressure on Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy to tender his resignation over the solar scam, the CPI (M)-led Left Democratic Front (LDF) has today begun an indefinite siege on the state secretariat.
Former Prime Minister and Janata Dal (Secular) chief H.D Deve Gowda has also arrived at the venue and joined the thousands of activists of the LDF, who have blocked three entry and exit gates of the secretariat and claim that the fourth will be blocked later in the day.
CPI (M) General Secretary Prakash Karat on Sunday informed that siege of the Secretariat will continue for a week.
“Despite all the demands so far, the Chief Minister and the Government is refusing to concede. So, the LDF has called for a siege of the Secretariat with big demonstrations beginning on Monday, August 12. This will continue for a week….We will mobilize the lakh of people (who will) surround the Secretariat,” he said.
“We are not going to resort to any violent action. But the way that the Government is preparing, I think they are planning a violent crackdown or a repression—that will not suppress this protest,” he added.
Chandy yesterday said the Special Investigation Team (SIT) of the state police is probing the solar panel cheating case.
Chandy said the solar scam involves cheating to the tune of seven crore rupees and the government has not lost a single rupee.
Chandy had earlier last month assured that stringent punishment would be given to those found guilty in the solar panels supply and execution scam.
The Left Democratic Front in Kerala had earlier demanded a judicial probe in the matter.
The solar scam pertains to cheating several persons amounting to crores of rupees by Saritha Nair and her accomplice Biju Radhakrishnan by offering solar panel solutions.
It took a political turn with the arrest of one of Chandy``s close personal aides, who has alleged links with the accused. Two other employees in his personal staff have also been removed in connection with the scam.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation