Solar scam: Oommen Chandy orders judicial probe, LDF calls off siege
Zee Media Bureau
Thiruvananthapuram: Left Democratic Front (LDF) called off siege of Secretariat after Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy announced a judicial probe into solar scam on Tuesday.
Chanddy’s announcement comes after hectic consultations between the top brass of the Congress-led United Democratic Front at Chief Minister’s official residence.
Thousands of LDF Opposition volunteers had laid a siege to the state secretariat since Monday morning and have cordoned off the three gates of the secretariat.
In a move to avoid confrontation with protesters, government had declared holiday for the secretariat employees for today and tomorrow.
The Left had laid the siege in the wake of the solar scam, which pertains to financial cheating of several people by Saritha Nair and her live-in partner Biju Radkahrishnan who offered clients solar energy solutions at huge discounts -- the accused allegedly used their clout in the CM’s office for duping their clients of large sums.
It took a political turn after the arrest of a personal assistant of Chandy for his alleged link with the accused. A gunman of the chief minister was also suspended for his alleged association with the fraudsters.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani