Solar scam: Oommen Chandy orders judicial probe, LDF calls off siege
Zee Media Bureau
Thiruvananthapuram: Left Democratic Front (LDF) called off siege of Secretariat after Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy announced a judicial probe into solar scam on Tuesday.
Chanddy’s announcement comes after hectic consultations between the top brass of the Congress-led United Democratic Front at Chief Minister’s official residence.
Thousands of LDF Opposition volunteers had laid a siege to the state secretariat since Monday morning and have cordoned off the three gates of the secretariat.
In a move to avoid confrontation with protesters, government had declared holiday for the secretariat employees for today and tomorrow.
The Left had laid the siege in the wake of the solar scam, which pertains to financial cheating of several people by Saritha Nair and her live-in partner Biju Radkahrishnan who offered clients solar energy solutions at huge discounts -- the accused allegedly used their clout in the CM’s office for duping their clients of large sums.
It took a political turn after the arrest of a personal assistant of Chandy for his alleged link with the accused. A gunman of the chief minister was also suspended for his alleged association with the fraudsters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by Fadnavis, Rijiju; Aviation Minister apologises
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army