Solar scam: Won`t quit, says Oommen Chandy
Thiruvananthapuram: We will "not bend our knees before a political conspiracy", said a combative Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy Tuesday as the opposition mounted pressure on him to quit over a scam.
The opposition has demanded Chandy`s resignation and that he face a judicial probe after Sreedharan Nair, a businessman, Monday told TV channels he had met Chandy at his office here along with the now arrested Saritha S Nair July 9 last year, in what is being described as `solar scam`.
Angry supporters of the Left opposition clashed with the police here, demanding the resignation of Chandy.
"Today is the 10th day in succession that you have stalled the proceedings of the assembly on the very same solar scam issue. I will say the same thing that I said on the previous nine occasions. I don`t need the privilege of a chief minister or even that of a legislator, all I ask you is please give me the rights of an ordinary citizen," Chandy said.
"We will not bend our knees before a political conspiracy," said Chandy amidst a thunderous applause from the treasury benches.
The Chief Minister refuted the claims made by Sreedharan Nair on their meeting at the former`s office.
"As I said yesterday (Monday), again I am saying on two occasions Sreedharan Nair had met me, and on both the occasions Saritha S Nair was not present. He came along with other members of a Quarry Association to give me representations," said Chandy.
Saritha Nair and her live-in partner Biju Radhakrishnan had launched a firm called Team Solar that collected large sums of money on the promise of delivering solar panels.
The couple was arrested last month after several complaints were received from people who had given Team Solar money but got nothing in return.
Sreedharan Nair Monday said he paid Rs 40 lakh in three instalments to Saritha Nair to erect a solar panel factory at Palakkad after being convinced that the project was viable after he met Chandy along with Saritha Nair.
State Finance Minister KM Mani informed the house, tendering documentary evidence, that the agreement between Team Solar and the businessman was effected June 25, 2012, and Rs.4 million was paid to the Team Solar firm by Sreedharan Nair.
"I speak from the agreement between the two parties. Please, there has been no relation that the chief minister has and there are no bonafides," said Mani.
Chandy told the opposition to desist from spreading canards that there is a rift between Home Minister Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan and himself.
"Please remember, we are a cabinet that has collective responsibility and the United Democratic Front alliance is rock solid," said Chandy.
"You (opposition) can do anything to score political brownie points over me, but please don`t forget to ask your conscience if what you are doing is right," said Chandy.
He also pointed out that Sreedharan Nair ever since the scam broke out has been changing his statements by the day.
As in the previous days, the Left opposition members trooped into the well of the house forcing the speaker to adjourn the house for a while.
On resumption, with the situation continuing to be the same, he went through the listed business of the house and adjourned the house sine die.
The assembly was to have ended its session on July 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow