Sonia Gandhi launches `zero landless` scheme in Kerala
Thiruvananthapuram: Congress president Sonia Gandhi Monday launched a "zero landless" scheme here to ensure that one lakh families in Kerala get to own land by 2015.
"This is a historic moment as the ultimate dream of everyone is to own a piece of land," Gandhi told a meeting after inaugurating the programme.
"By 2015 in Kerala, this (wish) will be fulfilled. Kerala will be the first state in the country to have achieved this," she said.
Under the scheme, all the targeted one lakh families in Kerala will own at least three cents (one acre is 100 cents) of land by 2015.
"A piece of land and a home, if owned by all, will bring happiness to the state and country," Gandhi said.
She distributed title deeds to some of the beneficiaries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Here comes a smarter search engine than Google!
- Wanted to make 'Sultan' only with Salman: Ali Abbas Zafar
- Watch: Behind-the-scenes 'Trip' of 'Udta Punjab' will make you more impatient for its release
- Separatist leaders in Kashmir join hands against colonies for Pandits
- Five reasons you should stop eating bread!