Soumya murder case: Kerala HC confirms death sentence on Govindachamy
Zee Media Bureau/Ajith Vijay Kumar
Ernakulam: The Kerala High Court on Tuesday confirmed death sentence awarded to Tamil Nadu native Govindachamy in the Soumya murder case by a fast track court in Thrissur.
The verdict was delivered by a Division Bench of the Kerala High Court comprising Justice TR Ramchadran Nair and Justice Kemal Pasha.
The fast track court had observed there was no legal or moral justification for the act. The nature of the crime was savage and also noted that the accused was an habitual offender.
Govindachamy had pushed out 23-year-old Soumya out of the Ernakulam-Shoranur passenger train on February 1 after attempting to rob her.
He then raped the seriously injured woman after she fell down in woods nearby the railway track just after Vallathole Nagar station.
Soumya succumbed to injuries at the Thrissur Government Medical College Hospital on February 6.
Govindachamy is a native of Virudhachalam in Tamil Nadu.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing